John Tanton: Paradigm Shifts
Tanton Video Interview Interview 2006 - Topic 19
In this topic, Dr. John Tanton notes that most countries are now trying to stop immigration. He discusses paradigm shifts and lists false assumptions that must be questioned:
- There is room enough for endless numbers of people to come to the US.
- Population problems can be solved by moving people around the globe.
- Large-scale migration can continue indefinitely.
- National boundaries are illegitimate.
- We're a nation of immigrants.
- Migration is a civil liberties problem whereas it needs to be viewed as a resource problem.
Instead of focusing on the virtues of individual immigrants, we need to focus on the ecologist's question: "and then what?"